Sunday, March 23, 2008

Why I haven't been writing

So I've been pondering over the reasons why I haven't been writing as much recently. Albeit it I was never much of a writer, maybe coming up with something once in a great while, but I've noticed a bit of reluctance to do even that. Especially when it pertains to this blog. In the process of examining what motivations (or lack thereof) that I've had in writing here, I came across what I perceive as several causes.

  1. Time - Time is always a factor, and unfortunately I do not allocate the time I should for writing. Between work and my personal life, I find that what little time I do have I squander away on meaningful and worthwhile but ultimately unproductive things. I need to learn, if I am to take my writing seriously, to give more time to it and use the free time I do have wisely.
  2. Description - For the longest time the description of Astral Mindscapes didn't accurately portray what I hoped to accomplish with the blog. While it may be a cosmetic error, it still is a poor representation of the site. It should have been updated both for the readers of the blog as well as myself. Perhaps, on a subconscious level, the description was turning me off to writing on here. Maybe it was due to a lack of content for that topic, or just not something I was motivated to write about all the time. Nevertheless, while I still hope to cover what my old description said I realize that Astral Mindscapes is something much more, at least on a personal level. I updated the description in hopes that it might trigger a newfound sense of desire and interest in this site.
  3. Motivation - Motivation, mentioned a couple of times but really plays a serious role. What are the reasons I want to write here? Ever since my Adsense account was revoked for whatever reason I've lost motivation to write here. Now, I am not sure how many readers I have and I was far from making that much money, if any at all, but it was still a reason for me to write. Not the only reason, mind you, but a reason nonetheless. By taking that away I lost a little motivation to write here. However, I realized that I should write because I enjoy it not because its a means to make money. Communicating with the world is something I desire to do, not something I need to do. Therefore, it is my hope that this realization also gives me more reason and desire to post here more often.
Those are some of the reasons I believe are responsible for my lack of writing here. Hopefully by realizing these causes and addressing them I will begin to write more often, and feel more confident in my writing. Fear is another reason, one that I won't cover in any depth in the list above, but one that I think any writer must deal with and overcome. Fear may even be the cause of writer's block at time, I know it has been the cause for me on occasion. Just another obstacle that must be overcome.

With that in mind I bid you all farewell and good night.

No comments: